Monday, January 12, 2009

Thankful for the Birds

I almost didn't recognize this Song Sparrow today, as he was so puffed out to trap a layer of insulating air between his feathers. Most Song Sparrows fly farther south to winter but there are always a few that hang around.

The Black Capped Chickadee is one of my favourites. I am enduring the cold near the feeders each day to hopefully tame them enough to eat out of my hand -it is so thrilling when they accept you to do that. Black oil sunflower seeds are their favourite. I will make up some bird balls for extra treats as the weatherman says the temperatures are going to drop into the -30's C this week. We have 4 feeders, but this year this is the one they prefer. The Goldfinches of course prefer the Niger seed.


I was startled by a little Goldfinch that flew up from below my back door as I arrived home today -unusual ... then I looked down to see what had attracted him so close to the house and saw this perfect imprint in the snow.....I felt badly for the poor fellow as I realized he had likely flown into the 3/4 glass door by mistake....but happy that he had recovered enough to fly away leaving only his imprint and 1 tiny little feather.


The ducks are still hanging around the open water spots on the river. I love to see them but fear for them. A few people I know put corn out along their shorelines for feed, but I think they should fly to warmer climates where they can find food naturally. The birds I feed can and do forage on their own quite nicely -I just make it easier and do it for the selfish reason of wanting them close so I can watch their bird antics. They make me smile and give me something to talk about with all the others who also like to seek out and watch birds.....





No comments: