Saturday, January 3, 2009

A Cold New Year's Blanket

New Year's Day dawned with clear blue skies , a dazzling sun and bitterly cold temperatures. After being couped up in the house for a few days giving my body the rest it needed, I just had to get out. Bundled up against the -25 C wind chill, Nellie and I ventured first into The Throwaway Forest. It is an area of about 3 acres that once was the paddock for my horses, but over the past 30 years has been tranformed into my own little forest close to home. The name came from the first trees and shrubs planted there, that were all given to us by relatives, friends neighbours, even strangers -"I have these trees that I want to get rid of...." they'd say. "Sure, we'll take them..." and thus a forest was born. The horses were sold as increasing demands on our time with 2 young boys took precidence over time with my beauties -I could have kept them to look at but they were too good to do that -horses like dogs need to be worked -alot. Trees can be be watched from afar when you get too busy and I love trees too. We still plant trees every year and in the summer I mow winding pathways among the trees and wildflower meadows that Nellie and I walk every day. It is the first place that all the kids that come to visit want to go -any time of the year -I feel good passing that love of the trees on to the little ones......

After warming up in the house, Nellie and I went down along the river to get a closer look at the ice covered rocks and the freezing river. The patterns that the river ice take on are quite spectacular when viewed up close. It won't take long at these temperatures for all the little bays to freeze over, then the main channels will jam up with floating bits of ice then the real freezing will begin. The main channels will always be changing -the ice comes and goes due to the strong currents. It can be very dangerous for foolish people and the innocent animals that unknowingly venture out on it. Nellie is leased at all times near the river from now until breakup in the spring.

Only 2 days into the new year and I've already got a few dishcloths knitted (for gifts during the coming year)and another bag to be felted on the needles. The largest fabric store within an hours drive is having a close out sale -everything is 50% off. While I am loath to spend money this time of year, I am going to venture into the city today to stock up on threads and some quilting cotton for some new pillows. I decided mine in the living room were in need of replacement over the holidays.....



No comments: