Thursday, January 22, 2009

Old is Beautiful Again

I was so thrilled today to receive the call from my dear talented friend that, he had finally finished our new "old" coffee table!! You might want to click on the first picture to enlarge it to see a corner of our kitchen, gutted down several layers to the original studs. Our house is approximately 180 years old. Even at that time the relatives were a thrifty lot -building much of the house from a reclaimed barn. Who knows how old some of the wood is. The wide horizontal boards were mirrored on the inside of the studs (already removed) with another layer of wide horizontal boards. Some of those one inch plus thick boards, measured 18 inches wide! Much of it was in bad shape and we just burned it , but we saved what looked sound. We gave some to our friend who fashioned a stunning harvest table for his daughter (copied off our own). I jokingly said to him that I would give him more wood in exchange for a mini harvest table to match ours, that we could use as a coffee table in our living room-that was six years ago. He had no projects on the go this winter so built our table -well I did say there was no hurry!!
Isn't it just divine!!! Most of the furniture in our house is antique or reproduction antique -made from reclaimed wood. The colour and patina is just amazing -the pictures don't do it justice at all.....I am just thrilled!

The living room has hand hewn exposed beams the exact colour of lighter red pine pieces (on the left in the picture). I love my friends!




2 comments:

hippymummy said...

What a lovely table! Your friend is so talented! Who wouldn't want a gift like that! It looks like there was a major job started over your way with that kitchen, i bet that was hard work - Phew!
Wendy over at "Home and Hearth" (there's a link from my page to hers) posted a lovely piece about getting older, pop over there and take a look, it's only about 3 or 4 posts back. I enjoyed it very much. Take care xXx

Eileen said...

Yea, the kitchen reno WAS hard work and much more than we bargained for (always is when you start ripping out the old in an old house). Hubby, #2 son and I donned our steel toed boots and gutted it one long weekend and 2 months without a kitchen later -a beautiful new country kitchen -I waited 25 years for it!!!