Thursday, January 15, 2009

Horse Running Free

Anyone who has pastured horses outside in all kinds of weather can tell you they act like weathervanes. Years ago when we had horses all I'd have to do to see what the weather was like was look out my kitchen window to their paddock ,to see where they were. In the summer if it was terribly hot, they would be in their run in shelter away from the heat and flies, if "scary" weather was approaching you'd see them nervously trotting back and forth or running full tilt as if demons were chasing them, if the wind was from the east (a sure sign of some form of precipitation) they would be over in the east corner of the field, bums to the wind......perhaps that is why horses have been so popular as weather vanes???? I was saddened today to see my copper trotting horse weather vane atop the cupola on the studio, has been broken by the recent winds. He is now "stuck" running into the prevailing north west winter winds. I hope it is fixable, but that will have to wait until spring.
The cold continues, but it was a beautiful sunny day -just no warmth from the sun . The kids at school today worked hard on completing the hand sewing on their wall quilt -it is quite unique!!! Their hand sewing leaves a lot to be desired but not their enthusiasm -one of the things I love about kids with an intellectual disability -most have this zest for life that we could all borrow from -and I do......

3 comments:

laoi gaul~williams said...

''I love about kids with an intellectual disability -most have this zest for life that we could all borrow from''

i worked with adults witht he same problem for many years and your comment is so true!

Julie said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I have been reading quite a few entries from yours and it is lovely.

It is 24 above now. That's a difference of 68 degrees from the night before last (I learned that the official low in Bis. was -44.)

hippymummy said...

I love horses too and always wanted one when i was a young girl - actually even when i was a grown up i wanted one too! I hope your trotting beauty is repairable and will survive to trot another day xXx