Monday, January 19, 2009

The Colour Purple

I'm not sure that I have a favourite colour, but purple -lavender, lilac, violet, aubergine -whatever you want to call i,t is very high on the list! So when JJ came home last week with a pot of somewhat misshapen, somewhat scrawny hyacinths and I kind of gave the pot that look ....."...but they were the only ones that were purple!!," he exclaimed -"..oh well.....in that case -they are beautiful honey!!!!", is what I replied. They have opened nicely, their perfume wafts through the house and all the freezing weather, cars that didn't start, then stalled, more snow that had to be shoveled, more freezing temperature to deal with -it's all forgotten and in the past -I have flowers again. Hyacinths I love, but purple hyacinths I adore -I carry the pot around just to be near that intoxicating aroma. I don't use any scented products in my house, at all, no perfume, or even scented candles, but scented flowers I can tolerate and can't get enough of them -so I do miss them in the winter.
I finished another felted purse on Fri. night so it was off to the wool shop to buy more wool on Sat. -fell in love with these colours and thought they would be perfect together for another felted project -hubby commented on my selection -oh, nice, more purple I see -I hadn't noticed.......did get me to thinking however........I don't keep much of the stained glass I do, but almost all the pieces I have kept over the years have....guess what -blues and purples....

....my flower gardens are filled with....blues and purples.......


......I've planted purple cauliflower, purple potatoes, purple beans, even eggplant (I don't like eggplant, but I love seeing it in the garden and my excuse is it attracts potato beetles away from the potato plants. I grow lavender by the back door and surrounding the patio, and keep a bundle tied to my bedpost in case I need to put some inside my pillow to calm my mind before sleep. I even have been known to wear purple -in every season.

Put some purple in your life when you want:
-to use your imagination to its fullest -to re-balance your life
-to remove obstacles
-to calm over activity or to energize from depression


Warning


When I am an old woman I shall wear purple With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me. And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter. I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells And run my stick along the public railings And make up for the sobriety of my youth. I shall go out in my slippers in the rain And pick flowers in other people's gardens And learn to spit. You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat And eat three pounds of sausages at a go Or only bread and pickle for a week And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes. But now we must have clothes that keep us dry And pay our rent and not swear in the street And set a good example for the children. We must have friends to dinner and read the papers. But maybe I ought to practice a little now? So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

Jenny Joseph

....love this, I'm not a poet but my friend and I have written our own versions which are hilarious and suit each other....another post.....another time.......I think the official colour of February is purple...perhaps then......







3 comments:

Susan at Stony River said...

I loved this post! My garden is blue, purple and white...my nightclothes are all blue, purple and white too; they're my favourite colours, and I think I only like the white to set off the blue and purple so well LOL.

The dragonflies are gorgeous, in the window. Wow!

hippymummy said...

I love the poem too! That's what i'm going to be when i grow up - at least that's how my kids think i'll be when i'm of pensionable age! Lol! A mad cat (and dog!) lady with wild witchy hair and rainbow clothing! Lol!
Your stained glass is beautiful! I've not seen any as nice as this. I too love all these colours, lilac, lavender, purple, whatever. This post today has really made me smile today, thankyou xXx

Eileen said...

I'm tired of looking at the snow... I want to see green grass, new leaves on trees, smell the flowers and Susan -even moss! I have to try very hard to get moss to grow in my "sandbox" garden -more on that later. The moss of Ireland is just too beautiful to describe!!! Everybody should go there just to see the moss...
Hippymuummy....I have a quote on my wall that says -"the witch will see you now!" Need I say more...everyone here says -it is me -is that good or bad -I think good!!! Have a great day!!!!