Sunday, January 25, 2009

Birds of Prey

This has been quite the morning around here!! Yesterday afternoon I was watching the many birds at the feeder when all of a sudden they all took off -and didn't return for the rest of the day. Around here that means one thing -raptors - not the dinosaur kind -the large birds of prey. I looked and looked but couldn't see any...but I knew they were there. The first picture was taken in the summer at a Raptor Show in a park in Quebec. Pictured is a Red Shouldered Hawk. First thing this morning (still no birds at the feeders) I saw one fly over-up high -just searching.
This is a Red Tailed Hawk covering it's just captured lure at the show.

Red Tailed Hawk just before takeoff!
About 8 this morning I looked out to see an American Kestral (Sparrow Hawk) sitting high up in a maple tree. That was why there were no birds -he took off as some crows flew in to investigate him. About an hour later I saw a number of song birds had returned to the feeder behind the kitchen window and was admiring them and then right before my eyes, the Kestral swooped in and snatched one in mid air, just feet from my eyes!!! I jumped back and the other birds dove for cover. I saw it land in a pine tree close to house so grabbed the camera, shoved feet into the first pair of boots by the back door and in my nightgown and housecoat ran out in the snow to see if I could get a picture...but he saw me and flew off leaving only a few little brown feathers floating in the air.....poor little bird, but the bigger birds must survive too.
JJ and I went out for breakfast today and on our way back from the village, I spotted a Kestral in a tree by the road, did a u-turn but he had flown away. As we turned onto the road along the river to head home JJ spotted another bird flying along the rivers edge...large, very large, flying with great speed.....we pursued it but couldn't catch up to it. I jumped out of the car near our local park and tried to find it in the sky , took a few pictures but could hardly focus before it was way down the river. An eagle no doubt.....
Although not clear, the pictures were clear enough for positive id -a mature American Bald Eagle. Uncommon for this area, but we have seen one from time to time. They are about 36 inches tall with a wingspan of 7 feet. Huge!!! Both JJ and I have seen one in the past few weeks at dusk while walking Nellie but couldn't make a positive id. We have Golden Eagles from time to time as well. This one's beak looks huge so it could be a female. Exciting birding day to be sure!!!!!







4 comments:

Goosey said...

That's amazing to see an eagle near your home! I'm not surprised the smaller birds are keeping out of the way! Do you live way out in the country away from big towns?

hippymummy said...

Wow! An amazing sight, it must've been wonderful to see such a sight, i think that id've shed a tear or two at the magesty beauty of it all xXx

Susan at Stony River said...

Wow, congratulations on seeing them, and on getting such lovely photos!

We have golden eagles nearby but rarely, very rarely see them. Every year I promise myself I'll get out to one of the wildlife preserves and enjoy the watch...maybe this is the year.

Thanks for sharing the photos!

Eileen said...

Goosey, we do live on a farm along the St. Lawrence River...it separates us from the United States....The river is quite wide right here with several large, long islands in the middle (several Kilometers long). The shipping lanes for the ocean going vessels are on the Canadian side here. The eagles fly along the river looking for prey -fish, ducks, other birds. We've seen the Golden Eagles inland but the Bald Eagles are always along the river. Several wildlife sanctuaries hold Birds of Prey shows every year -you get to see them up close. One year one of the trained young Golden Eagles just took off into the sanctuary -and didn't come back!!! Lure of hunting was too strong I guess!! Thanks for visiting -I still can't believe all the action we saw today!!!!