Friday, December 19, 2008

Winter Lights

I use themes to structure my lessons around for my class of intellectually disabled kids. Our theme for the month of December has been "Winter Lights". The delightful book by Anna Grossnickle Hines (http://www.aghines.com/ by the same name was my starting point as we studied Kwanzaa, Hannukkah, Los Posados, and the Winter Solstice. The kids read, researched, made posters, cards, we cooked food typical of each celebration, we studied candles, firelight, built a bonfire outside, made rolled beeswax candles, ice candles and lanterns made from tin cans. The candles and lanterns were decorated and wrapped as gifts for their families. They were very enthusiastic about the whole theme and loved making the gifts. I am very glad however that school is out for a 2 week break -I need a break from the routine and the intense demands and assistance they require. Lindsay as I write this is still stuck in Toronto airport waiting on a flight to bring him to Ottawa. There is quite a storm going on there and here -I'm trying to keep busy!!!!!
Milk, juice and/or other square or cylindrical containers are saved and filled with ice around a taper candle. New or wax from old burned down candles is melted and poured over the ice. Wait for a day and pour off melted water and tear off the container. An ice candle!

I love using recycled items for crafts -look what old tin cans can become . Tops are removed and the cans are filled with water and frozen -then, on an old towel, holes are punched into the sides from the top down (the ice breaks) in patterns or just randomly. Put a tea light in and voila a lantern. You can decorate the outside bottom and/or add a handle if you wish to hang them.



No comments: