Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Treats

Christmas Cashew Balls
-free of dairy, wheat, yeast, corn, sugar, eggs, soy, nightshades and gluten-
Ingredients
1 cup unsalted roasted cashew pieces (250ml)
1/8 tsp ground cardamon(.5ml)
1 cup dates, finely chopped (250ml)
Zest of 1 orange
1 Tbsp. orange juice (15ml)
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (125ml)

1.Grind cashews, in a food processor (not too fine). Add in cardamon, dates, orange peel, and orange juice and mix.

2.Roll into small balls, then roll in coconut. Eat and enjoy! No baking.( I keep mine in the fridge)

Easy, easy easy and so tasty and naturally sweet! I made these last night for our Chinese gift exchange after school tonight -none left -that's a good sign!!


This is one of my tall, skinny"Father Christmas's" that I make -I have made many for family and friends as keepsakes. I use recycled coats or other clothing bits, (including the bits of fur), beards of Angora goat hair from my neighbour, old bits of jewelery or other memento's that are given to me by the person who wishes one. The base is a slice of log, with wooden body, wire armature (my friend is an electrician and he saves me electrical wire scraps from jobs, which I strip to reveal the lovely bendable heavy copper wire. The heads and hands and some of the toys in the sack are purchased, sometimes I use what ever people give me as memento's they want included. They come in blue, browns, greens, old fur, white but I don't think I've ever made a red one or a fat one -I prefer the tall, even exceptionally tall regal looking Father Christmas. I have one I still hope to make this year, but time is getting short so it may not be ready before Christmas -need to scavenge some more bits and pieces as well.......there has been some discussion on a few blogs I visit about Santa's other than red....I definitely vote for browns and greens -my favourite!!! Happy night to all....

1 comment:

Katherine Dunn/Apifera Farm said...

Wonderful. My father loved Santas and he an dmy mom collected some, they remind me of this one. He passed last March, so this brought memories of his Santas. Really beautiful. And I like to use other colors too...