Sunday, December 28, 2008

A Week of Contrasts

I lay in bed for awhile after I awoke, too stiff to make the great effort to get up and reflected on the past week. A week of contrasts for sure. My two boys plus a girlfriend are here -that in itself is a contrast as it is the first time in 18 months they've all been here. It is quiet now as they are all still asleep, but when they are all up, the house rings out with voices and laughter, catching up on activities and adventures. Nellie, while loving all the extra attention is stressed as evidenced by the whining and terrible terrier behaviour of grabbing toys and shaking them. I am not a clean freak, but everywhere I look, there is evidence of kids -socks balled up and left all over, dishes in the sink, tables, computer desk, bathroom -who eats in the bathroom????? I do love them dearly but I am more used to my couple ways than I thought I was.
Christmas was not all I had hoped it would be. Christmas Eve day, I had a very bad fall. We were having our traditional family skate/hockey game that has been a tradition for 30 years now. Family/kids/grandkids, inlaws etc. from 3 to 87 participate. I'm a good skater but as I was skating along talking to a cousin, I tripped ??? and fell headlong onto the ice. Instinctively the hands went up to protect my face and as a reult I hit the ice fully on the chest. The wind was knocked out of me and I recalled the only other time in my life when the wind was completly knocked out of me was when I was a child of 9, playing baseball and the batters ball struck me in the chest. It took what seemed like forever to get even a little air in my lungs again. That was it for me. JJ helped me off the ice to the change room. I thought I should likely go to the hospital to get checked out, but knowing they don't do anything for ribs if they are cracked/broken and our small local hospital is notorious for 6 hour waits to see anyone I opted to just go home. After all I reasoned, I had 20 people coming this evening for dinner, preparations to finsh and it was going to hurt more tomorrow. I enjoyed the evening thanks in part to painkillers and 2 pomegranate martinis -couldn't do cleanup and could hardly get into bed. I am a side sleeper -that was out, but lying on my back felt like I had a truck sitting on my chest. I didn't get alot of sleep, I was so uncomfortable, could only breath very shallowly and even that hurt. JJ said I moaned all night -I don't recall. I admit, getting out of bed in the morning made me cry. Once I was up I was better, but oh was the chest wall hurting, Again I carried on with the traditional breakfast for my husbands sisters and my own family. It was simple and JJ helped a bit. Oven bacon, eggs, cinnamon buns and fruit. I stayed home while Lindsay and JJ went to pick up Ryan and his girlfriend who arrived early afternoon by train from Toronto. We went to watch my sister in laws grandchildren and family open gifts and have dinner -which I love -young children are so much fun at Christmas. With the help of pain killers I got through the day -retired early with a double dose of muscle relaxants.
I still haven't gone to get checked out but as for a self diagnosis I'm sure I have bruised ribs with possibly a few cracked ones. I checked some medical sites for descriptions. I skipped the traditional Boxing Day extended family gathering and stayed home by myself so I wouldn't have to pretend I was OK. I'm not OK but doing the typical mom thing I want my kids to eat well when they are home and enjoy themselves. When they are gone I will really be able to relax and recover before returning to work next week. I received some great books and yarn as gifts -we were hoping to go skiing but that's out for awhile......skipping the whole Christmas thing and going to a tropical island with hot sunny beaches and warm turquois water sounds really appealing....maybe next year......

2 comments:

Goosey said...

Your fall sounds really nasty, it's such a busy time at Christmas that we Mums feel we have to do it all and keep going whatever but you need time for it to heal.
I had Laryngitis a week before Christmas and have not managed to utter a word for 8 days now, not even a squeak but have managed to keep going and do two night shifts on Christmas Eve and Boxing day....but I'm shattered now and it's back to work tomorrow!
Perhaps your injurys are an excuse for you to do some gentler things for a while. Glad you are enjoying the family back at home for a while and I do empathise about the mess! BW Goosey

Eileen said...

Diagnosis confirmed with X-rays yesterday -several cracked ribs. You are so right about the mom thing Goosey -even if we moms know better-we still feel we have to do it all -even through gritted teeth and sore throat etc.After today it is going to be all about ME -rest, reading...some serious recovery stuff....take care...enjoy the birds through those great new binoculars....