Monday, December 15, 2008

Snowmen


My kitchen is decorated for the season with "snowmen". I don't love the snow all the time but I love snowmen -I like looking at snowmen decorations, I like making snowmen, and I make an awesome "real" snowman! Most of these decorations stay up for the winter -I find them cheerful during our long , cold , dark winter here in Ontario. I use little white lights over the doorways, hutch and counter top -some of them remain all year -I love the ambient light they give off. Many of the snowflakes are crocheted gifts from talented friends -I've never learned -maybe this year????







My skinny kitchen tree has snow folk of all descriptions that I've collected over the past 30 years. A treasured few are from my childhood. After mom & dad died dividing up the ornaments that my 3 siblings and I grew up with ,was one of the harder tasks -everyone had their favourites and sometimes they were the same!







My friend Dorothy is a full time artist -"Father Frost" was a gift a few years ago when she played with Fimo clay. My kids think he's creepy, but he lives at the top of the skinny tree each winter, doing his frosting from there.



I've made most of the wooden, painted and fabric snowmen over the years and am always on the lookout for snowmen cookie jars -these ones are filled with chocolate chip cookies, JJ's favourite.


















4 comments:

Goosey said...

I love your snowmen and skinny tree, I like the frost man too because he's different and hand made. How lovely to have a nice big kitchen to put a tree in, English homes tend to be a bit on the small side!

Nadya said...

I have a few snowpeople - have been working on some little blessing stars & a nisse / elf advent kalender (with little bags - it's on my vestellasvale blog) like one I saw on another blog! Fun. Got all snowy here, too!! Not as frosty yet, just cold & a white coat, . . .

stay warm!

laoi gaul~williams said...

it looks just gorgeous! as we have not long lived here and are still decorating etc your cosy look is something to aspire to!

Eileen said...

Thanks everyone for visiting -I can't tell you how much it means to me to hear from people around the world....Goosey -I love my kitchen now after gutting it and renovating it a few years back -a good size but I wish it were even bigger to hold more people...Dia...thanks for visiting from Oregon -I've never visited but have lots of cousins that live in Eugene...someday....love your Nisse -I'll be reading up more on them....SD.....the cosy look has taken over 30 years...patience...and your talents...your new home will be cosy before very long...