Sunday, December 21, 2008

Solstice Birdwatching

There were a great number of birds at the feeders today -distracting me from my tasks -I baked crescent rolls, cinnamon buns and created centerpieces -but I kept trying to take pictures of the birds through the windows. It snowed heavily all day but has almost stopped now -more shoveling!!! First picture there are Juncos, Goldfinches and Purple Finches.
Goldfinch and a female Cardinal lower left corner (blurry)

Male Cardinal


Female Cardinal

There were several female and several male cardinals together which is typical until spring -(family group???) The male is very flashy but the female is stunning in her colouration. My dad and I used to call each other all the time in the winter to brag how many Cardinals we could see at the feeders or outside in the trees. I miss that.....when the Cardinals start whistling in late Feb./early March -better weather is only about 3 weeks away. I know the habits of many birds so well that they have become indicators of seasonal/daily events. Blessings to all on this Solstice day -darkness has fallen as I post for the third time today....



No comments: