Friday, February 27, 2009

Up, Down, All Around

No matter where I looked for about 10 minutes this morning it was simply breathtaking.
The sky glowed, the sun on the river ice shone and sparkled and the sea gulls were once again swooping and floating all over!


The river has opened up dramatically over night. It is quite jammed up in the narrows to the east, but the main channel is open for miles looking to the west. Of course it will open up, jam up many more times before it stays clear. It wasn't too thick this year judging from the broken pieces sticking up....I cringe thinking of the fool hardy snowmobilers who risked their lives for a joy ride across this ice only a few weeks ago....

This past week the river has been quite vocal...loud booming cracks in the still night air, burbling and blurping sounds coming from the moving water beneath the thin ice.....we have sat beside the rivers edge every day this week to listen.......spring may be weeks away...but it is coming!!!!





3 comments:

laoi gaul~williams said...

there are times reading your blog i wish i could find myself standing on the banks of your river and see what you show us~it really is amazing.

by the way our daffodils are out! i shall post some pictures over at my blog later today :)

hippymummy said...

Oh my word! What an absolutely breathtakingly beautiful sky! I've never seen anything like it! Where do you live? Do you often have these amazing displays of colour there? Even the frozen river looks lovely- if a tad dangerous! Eek!
We also have daffodils and snowdrops AND...........Ta Da...... lambs! I've seen some! Spring is chasing the darkness away, getting closer and closer every day! Yippee! Blessings to you xXx

Eileen said...

Yes living along a river like the St. Lawrence is quite amazing -it is the one thing I love to come home to when I've been away. It changes from moment to moment -attracts all kinds of birds, wildlife -strange people as well. We live in a little hamlet called Mariatown (we're on a farm at the edge of the little group of houses)which is 2 km. outside the village of Morrisburg in eastern Onatrio. Many, many people who live in this area never go out on the river or even walk along it -they take it for granted -so sad. I do not -unless I'm very ill or away -I gaze out on it, I walk beside it or wade in it (all of my dogs have loved the water too).In better weather, we kayak, canoe or sometimes go out in motorboats (not my preferred way of travel)I used to swim in the river but rarely do that anymore -it doesn't warm up until early August and then only in the high 60's, low 70's F. -too cold for me. As a kid we'd push the date back every year to say we swam in the river in May -kids are so stupid aren't they!.
We still have snow, ice and frigid temp here - -21C this morning with a wind chill of -30C -a cold snap again after a few days just above freezing last week. Yes the sunsets and sunrise over the river are OFTEN stunning due to all the moisture in the air.