Monday, February 16, 2009

Retreating Ice

Yesterday's drive took us to the shores of the Ottawa River, west of our nations capital city. The hills across the river are the beginning of the Gatineau Hills in the province of Quebec. Unlike the St. Lawrence, it is frozen solid with lots of skaters, cars, trucks and snowmobilers and of course ice fishing huts.
I was disappointed this morning as the weatherman promised blue skies and temperatures near 0.....not so...overcast, breezy and well below 0. So I went looking for signs of retreating snow and ice to cheer myself ......








This is a section of the creek that is frozen over but you can see the trapped air beneath the ice from the moving water........Nellie fell through just after I took this picture and had frozen fur by the time we got back to the house.....she had so many little icicles she almost tinkled!





2 comments:

Traveller said...

Hey what a nice blog, I went to the link for the farm, beautiful!

Eileen said...

Thanks Traveller!.....do come back for a visit.....of course I went to yours...sounds like you have some great adventures.....good for you.....but I couldn't handle travelling alone...I'm not that brave....although I encourage my boys to do it! Visit again....next month we are off to explore the swamps and waterways of Florida.