Monday, February 16, 2009

Crossbills

The afternoon turned out to be quite lovely, so Nellie and I went for a walk in the evergreen forest hoping to see some birds. Nellie loved racing around the trails. The telltail smell of fox urine was evident here and there much to her delight!
Heard some soft "peeeet sounds", looked up to see some "White Winged Crossbills". I had heard they were around in large flocks but I had yet to see any. The male was beautiful in his rose pink feathers but he fly away too fast.

Managed to get a few pictures of the females

Note the distinctive cross mandibles and forked tail.

Wild turkey tracks.





2 comments:

Susan at Stony River said...

They're beautiful! Even the footprints in the snow makes a lovely photograph.

Eileen said...

My closest neighbour, who is NOT a nature lover, has been observing me lately (unbeknownst to me), as I poke along the creek looking to see who's been visiting. She stopped by today to exclaim, "OK what are you doing along the creek?????? I took her inside and showed her some of photos of tracks that I've taken lately and told her about the animals and birds and the stories the tracks tell me......"How do you know all this...I had no idea.....I wouldn't know what to look for..." Neither did I years ago, but now I'm quite a good tracker...but still refer to my books almost daily. I'm glad you had such a wonderful trip in the States....and how lucky you are to have a long time friend to visit there as well...bet the kids will be ecstatic to see their mom again