Sunday, February 8, 2009

So Much, So Little.....So Tired

The first week of a new school term typically leaves me feeling exhausted at the best of times. This has not been the best of times as I am still fighting that lingering cold virus. In spite of various "over the counter drugs" which I have had to resort to, to control the stuffy head, the constant runny nose and sore throat, this virus has decided to invade my lungs as well...I think it may have morphed into bronchitus.......whatever...it has left me drained by the end of the school day! I actually came home last Wed., took Nellie for a short walk -(still very cold outside)and sat down at the computer to read some blogs and to catch up on mine and" fell asleep"...sitting...at the computer...OK ..... that is something I've never done before....needless to say, no blogs were read - I was so tired I didn't even eat supper that night or the next.....I just came home and crashed!!! The "so much to do this week" just didn't get done.
Added to the "not being able to breathe" symptoms I experienced a flare up of menopausal night sweats and insomnia this week adding to the "I'm so tired" complaints -I really do try not to complain to JJ or anyone else but they all "know" by my actions or "non actions". Those menopausal symptoms come and go -annoying while I have them but usually tolerable more or less unless they go on for weeks at a time. I'm not a candidate for any hormonal treatment for that as I am in the high risk for cancer category (many family members having had it).
...and then there has been the "other" contributing factor to my sleeplessness..and .inability to quickly recover from this virus.....stress.....Brought on by the very real discovery last week that my long time "position" with our school board was/is in jeopardy. Times are changing....student enrolment in our board is in decline, our school is switching from a Grade 9 -12 school to a grade 7 -12 school next year, major renovations planned within the school and a change in philosophy in regards to providing for students with intellectual disabilities within the schools. Things always change in the education system but this is a lot of changes in one year. I still don't know, but it is very likely that my position is going to be eliminated. I love my job so it is very sad...I don't know what that means for me...I've put forth a number of ideas and concerns and at least my principal and special education superintendent are listening to me, have met with me and will meet with me again soon after some more decisions have been made. Stress...yea...a little......are they are related...definitely....I'm not concerned about having a job...I will.....I have lots of seniority....... it is just what job. ??????
I have sought escape from everything by reading -finished 2 books that I had started s few weeks ago -1 upstairs, 1 downstairs and read another book that was a Christmas gift. None of them was "great'...just OK......started "Three Cups of Tea", which was recommended by a co-worker....interesting so far......it is 4 o'clock in the morning right now...I really should try to get some more sleep.......


No comments: