Friday, February 20, 2009

Living Snowflakes

Nellie in a snowbank this morning! Snow the past 2 days and flurries for the weekend...no gardening for us yet! It is a snowball dog!!
I did not take this picture of a Snow Bunting close up. I've admired the huge flocks of them that we see on the roadsides and roadside fields but always at a distance....until today! I came out one of the front doors of the school to head to the parking lot this afternoon and to my surprise I saw this lovely little tan and white bird sitting all by itself along the sidewalk. I stopped, moved closer, (why was the camera in the car!!!) then closer, so I could observe it very closely...I was bewildered, what is it????.....then I remembered that Snow Buntings are about the only "almost white" small songbird. Could it be????? The little bird watched me too, moving his head from side to side...his eyes never leaving me.......I was within 1.5 m when several other birds flew over and off he flew -seeing him fly I knew it was a Bunting. Then, on the drive home I saw 3 different flocks of them on the roadsides! Two very large flocks and one small flock. So now I am wondering if they are on route back to their Arctic nesting grounds????


I'll look for them tomorrow along the roads as we drive Nellie to the groomers. Her long hair is due for a clip.....it takes about 3 hours ....I have no desire to learn how to do that....I brush her, de matt, bathe, hose down, play, walk, feed etc Nellie....but dog grooming has never appealed to me. I'll leave that to the experts! Besides, Nellie is stuck at home every day while JJ and I are at work -she deserves a little pampering and the undivided attention of her groomer for an afternoon -whom she LOVES. I guess if I couldn't afford to have it done, I wouldn't own a dog that has to have it done every few months. I do love the fact that she does not shed all year, everywhere. Had lots of dogs that have and I don't miss the hair!



No comments: