Friday, November 28, 2008

Florida Bound

Booked tickets for Florida for JJ and myself last night -it is a surprise for his birthday next week -we've been debating it for several weeks now, and since I've been feeling blue all week (SAD seems to kick in earlier every year) I needed something to look forward to and a birthday gift - we don't go till March, but knowing we're going somewhere I love, helps me get through the months of cold and darkness ahead. We're lucky that JJ's sister has a beautiful winter home in Matlacha, that we can stay at. Last year there 11 of us (all family) - it was a tad crowded but great fun with the 4 little kids. We'll be there alone this year -which is nice too. Matlacha is a small, fishing /artist village off the coast of Fort Myers Florida. There are dozens of art galleries, studios, great fresh seafood, great bargain shopping, great little bars with great local bands - I don't drink but it is fun to go out and mix with the natives and listen to the music, beaches, wildlife and birds -did I mention I love bird watching and photographing birds??? This is one of a pair of wood storks that have a huge nest on top of a monkey puzzle tree on the corner of the property.
Backyard shot of the pool, seawall and some mangrove islands off to the west of the house. We can kayak everyday to see nesting sites in the mangroves, watch the dolphins swim by everyday at high tide, see great sunsets and fish off the seawall - although I hate cleaning them -it is easier to walk to the fish market every night.

The house is typical of southwest Florida - on a large property with lots of palm trees, sea grape and other exotics (to me anyway) on a point of land surrounded by water on 2 sides - no close neighbours......it makes me so happy just thinking about it.....want to go back to the everglades again this year -to see the gators of course!!



No comments: