Friday, November 7, 2008

Fabulous Friday

A thick fog this morning almost prevented us from driving to Ottawa to visit the Canadian War Museum - but it cleared enough by 8 o'clock for us to head out. The kids, while not understanding alot of what they saw, enjoyed themselves immensely anyway! My mom, from Estonia, was separated from her family when Russia invaded that country. She eventually made her way to Canada after WWII ended and met my dad , also a recent immigrant from Ireland...the rest is history. Seeing lots of the artifacts today and pictures gave me the creeps and brought back memories of my mom. Mom never told us much about the war she experienced -too disturbing and frightening for her -and I've always abhorred violence of any kind -perhaps because of her influence. She was a gentle, quiet sole who loved to create things and coax life from the earth. She passed away far too soon...(17 years ago). My Irish dad passed on the love of all things Irish, story telling, faeries, folklore, love of history and of life long learning. Whenever I visit my numerous relatives in Ireland I always feel like I've gone home, like I belong ....in fact, it only takes me a few days in Ireland to begin to talk like them -the same intonation, using their words etc. -something my husband finds amusing. My dad never lost his accent -I suppose that had something to do with it. Alas, he too left this earth too early.......sunrises and sunsets always make me think of my parents, especially my dad as we used to go outside often to watch the miracle........so.... a beautiful Indian summer day....but one touched with a little sadness as I remembered both my deceased parents........but a fabulous day overall......

No comments: