Sunday, March 8, 2009

....living simply...simply living....

I like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow, but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing. Agatha Christie

After several months of sometimes bitterly cold temperatures, too much ice and snow, long miserably dark days, great pain from some rather unfortunate injuries this winter........all seemed right this morning as we walked along the river (now open) under a leaden sky, when the sun magnificently broke through the clouds to shine all around. Soon the clouds disappeared, the birds started to sing, the newly arrived geese and ducks took to the skies to seek out food left over in the farmers fields from last falls harvest.........yes... I felt good...it is good to be alive ......."tis a grand day to be alive", as my Irish dad used to say,..."a grand day indeed!".



4 comments:

Goosey said...

Spring's coming Eileen, I look forward to seeing what your area looks like in spring, summer and autumn. The signs of spring are here now, daffodils coming up, primroses flowering and frog spawn in the pond.

Eileen said...

Alas, the sunny warm weather was brief -back to ice rain, sleet and snow tonight...doesn't look as if I'll glimpse the full moon again this month as this weather continues into tomorrow. Hundreds of geese on the ice in the bays tonight -it is quite noisy outside actually and without wind the large snowflakes are just lazily drifing towards the earth....not too bad after all...but I'd rather see the daffodils poking through the earth...enjoy them Goosey!

Wendy.B said...

What a challenging but fulfilling way to live, hearing the geese and watching the snowfall.. I long for the winter chill.. and will miss it here, although I am not sure how well I would cope to start with your winters. Perhaps you could grow your daffodils inside? I had a friend in the top end of Alaska who I sent some tomato seeds to, he grew wonderful tomatoes indoors beside.
I have had dreams of living in other places and walking the walk of those who had gone there before me - those places were Cornwall or Scottland Alaska or Canada.. I so love your blog, and your photos.. thank you for opening your world to us, I feel blessed for being able to share in this place you call home.

Eileen said...

Wendy, what nice comments. They reflect my feelings too -I decided to blog to glimpse into some like minded people who live elsewhere in the world -I'm happy to have found yours.....we do grow daffodils...they just come out later....our four seasons are very distinct from each other and I love and hate them all...but as much as I like winter it has become my least favourite season..too long, too cold and especially too dark when one suffers from seasonal affective disorder....have a great day.