Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Connecting

Our vacation to Matlacha Florida was just short of "absolutely perfect in every way." I'll share some of my most favourite photos -not always technically the best photos but the most meaningful. Tonight, just an overview. My husbands sisters house is on the water, but Matlacha Pass (which is a mixture of fresh water and sea water) is between the barrier islands -Pine Island, Captiva, Sanibel, Cayo Costa etc. and the mainland of Florida (southwest coast). Stunning view of Mangrove islands and water on 3 sides. But, a trip to the beach at least once is must -I love the beach, the seashore, the sand, the waves etc. We choose beaches that are not crowded -except by wildlife. This year I was fascinated by these 2 kids playing -especially the little girl. I took lots of pictures of them (with their parents permission but promised not to post any that showed their faces to the world). One of my trip highlights was watching this little girl strolling up the beach in the gentle waves towards me, grinning from ear to ear, oblivious to the world, singing in a delightful high little girl voice..."I love it, I love it, I love it...." When she reached me and we had a little chat, I asked her.... what is it that she loves? She stopped.... looking very serious....looked all around her....smiled....then exclaimed with a shrug and wide open arms...."I just love it all!' ....out of the mouths of babes....summed up my feelings for the day as well! It became my mantra for the week........"I love it, I love it".......I found myself humming under my breath......
The southwest coast of Florida has become known as the "Creative Coast" It is a mecca for artists, musicians and people who love that sort of stuff!! Matlacha is one of the "last" true fishing villages and tiny little art galleries. I think there are something like 17 galleries within a couple of miles. They are all totally unique, many local artists that have moved to this area from ALL OVER and lots who simply visit and display their work either seasonally or all year. You can take classes all year from artists in every medium and style -from drumming to watercolour, goldsmithing to pottery. I have favourite artists and look forward to seeing their new works each year -I get so inspired!!! The people in this area are so down to earth, so friendly and eager to share -stories, ideas, techniques....awesome people!

As a lover of sunrises and sunsets, sky watching and watching the light change on the water -it is the perfect spot. Temperatures were in the low 80's F during the day (the pool warmed up with the solar blanket to 90F -loved that) I was in the water as soon as I got up, during the day and then watched the stars while floating on my back before I went to bed -what can get better than that! On it, in it or just watching it -I love water.

Birdwatching, another of my pastimes it amazing in Matlacha. This year I photographed 36 different types of birds -about 8 that I'd never seen before in Florida. These Skimmers were especially fun to watch and photograph. John agrees I need a better camera to capture them .
It was a lovely lazy, relaxing, warm, fun, inspiring holiday that I spent with my dear husband. No TV, no radio, no phone, no computer, no work.......just the 2 of us doing things we love to do -together. We lead busy lives at home and love to get away to reconnect. It was like a honeymoon only better!!










2 comments:

Wendy.B said...

Welcome Home! I am glad you had a great time, anything like a second honey moon has to be good... the photos are awesome and I look forward to seeing some more..

laoi gaul~williams said...

welcome back! it sounds like a wonderful time...especially with no telephone and tv!