Monday, February 28, 2011

Little Crooked House

There was a crooked man and woman,


who walked a crooked mile.

They found a crooked willow tree

beside a crooked creek.

They bought home two crooked dogs,

who caught the crooked mice,

and they all lived together in a little crooked house.


Well......not the poem you likely remember...but it fits us.  We put down our books and decided it was time, once again, to begin work again on our little crooked house. (ongoing for 30 some years) This time the upstairs laundry room. Once upon a time...oh say a hundred years ago when JJ's grandparents added the second story to the house we live today, this room was likely a bedroom.  When we moved in 30 some years ago....it became a laundry room...basement is to low and yucky for a laundry room. It has had only  redecorating since. So rip out old walls, cover some up, new insulation, new gyprock, level the floor....unbelievably crooked all these years...everything was jacked up to level them. Oldest son came home for the weekend to help out the crooked parents.....he sanded the old wooden plank ceiling , which we decided to leave and helped me to paint it. Actually he did most of the painting and I painted the bathroom ceiling and got the walls in there ready for repainting this week. I hope to paint the laundry room walls after work this week then wait until the hired help comes to lay down the new floor. New cupboards to be assembled and refilled with the laundry room/linen cupboard's contents stashed all over the upstairs. Of course with construction comes dust...ALL THROUGH THE HOUSE.....I am hoping my older son comes home again during my March break to paint some more in the house and look after the terriers two while we go south to bask in the warm sunshine of Florida.

3 comments:

Kath said...

Oh you have my sympathy, I know the dust and mess the builders make and the upheaval of emptying rooms for them! Your pic made me smile, it could have been my home :-D
Your trip to Florida will be much deserved!

Eileen said...

Yes, Kath, from your pictures I believe you - I chuckled when I saw the piles of construction debris in the center of your rooms...aaaahhhhh such fond memories...have a super day!

Tina said...

Lots of work! But you will love your new laundry room and it will be worth all the effort!
Off now for a doggie walk!
Tina in Germany